Cannes Diary Day 2: Waiting For Ash


By on 5:37 AM

Alan Roberts' Hotel
It wasn't the way my day was meant to start. Woke up to some disturbing personal news that pretty much had me stressed all day. But the good part is, I know things are getting better.
Spent the early part of the morning waiting for Aishwarya Rai to show up. Or Aishwarya Rai Bachchan as she reminded me when I forgot to add her last name in my on-air introduction. Met Aishwarya at the L'oreal suite on the 7th floor of the Martinez Hotel. I tell you, that suite has one great view, overlooking the Croisette, looking down at the revelers, and across to the wide expanse of clear blue, never-ending sea.
Aishwarya was late. Almost an hour and a half late. But that may not have been her fault as much as it was the fault of the scheduling guys at L'oreal.
The interview was DULL. As most interviews with Aishwarya usually are because she's always so defensive. I've never understood why. But she always is.

CAPTION: American actress Eva Longoria (left) laughs as she arrives with Bollywood star and former Miss World, Aishwarya Rai to the opening night ceremony and the premiere of the film Blindness at the 61st Cannes Film Festival
I asked her if it was going to be a little celebration of sorts when Abhishek, Amitabh and Jaya Bachchan get to Cannes this evening, since the family will be together today the first time since Abhishek and Aishwarya celebrated their first wedding anniversary together in April. Aishwarya didn't like that question apparently and insisted that "We" (the media, who else?) could draw our own inferences but the family only planned to spend some time together, as they normally do when they can. (I still don't know what was so offensive about what I asked, but what the hell, I can't be bothered with trying to figure out!)
That done, it was time for the "Kung Fu Panda" stars. First Jack Black, who is undoubtedly one of the funniest actors working today. The man was friendly, chatty, engaging, and just SO cool. I asked him if he could relate to the role he played in the film - of a misfit with impossible dreams - and he took it so sportingly and said that's exactly why he did the film. Because he felt exactly like that! Gosh, we could do with some more such sporting, unassuming guys in Bollywood!
Next stop, Dustin Hoffman. Just as funny, but mostly poker face. He's one of the finest actors in the business and he's such a humble gentleman! First I had to stop going giddy with excitement about meeting one of my heroes. I mean, he IS Benjamin Braddock! Didn't all of us grow up on "The Graduate"? Here was my hero, being warm and friendly and asking about India, and enquiring about the blasts in Jaipur, and just being so NORMAL. We had a great interview and I could swear I felt like he was happy to chat longer but his publicists edged me out of his room so the next journo could take his turn.
By the time I returned to my room, it was about 5pm and both my colleague Karma and I were starving. We hadn't had a bite since breakfast (which was just cereal and a glass of juice!) But there were some technical issues that needed to be sorted first. We needed a battery light for our camera if we had to shoot in the late evening.
Take it from me, it's not easy finding a battery light in the middle of Cannes. Nobody had one. And just when we decided we'd buy a torch and strap it on the camera, Karma found exactly what he'd been looking for!
Fortunately we could eat now. A lousy pasta and some French fries consumed, we return to our room to shower and change and take on the night. No, no, we're not off to party. We have an event to cover. An event Preity Zinta will attend.
Such is life - my day begins with a Bollywood beauty and ends with one. Hopefully this one won't make me wait hours for an interview!

About Syed Faizan Ali

Faizan is a 17 year old young guy who is blessed with the art of Blogging,He love to Blog day in and day out,He is a Website Designer and a Certified Graphics Designer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment